Welcome to Athens
Why I Love Athens, NY
A perfect combination of old and new on the Hudson with historic architecture, stunning river views, and a lower-key vibe than other upstate areas, this Greene County community is growing in popularity. Athens, New York real estate is known for its affordable antique homes and is a history-packed small river town on the western bank of the Hudson River about 2.5 hours north of New York City. There’s much more to Athens NY antique homes and the Athens lifestyle than fixer-uppers. Notably, Athens is home to Sleepy Hollow Lake, a two-and-a-half mile man-made lake surrounded by a 2,200-acre private community of contemporary waterfront homes with a pool, tennis courts, driving range, sports fields, and playgrounds.
Buying an Athens Home? Stats & Facts
- Population of 3,940 (Census 2020)
- The town of Athens was formed in 1815 from parts of the towns of Catskill and Coxsackie
- The Hudson riverfront town of Athens has opportunities to kayak or canoe in the river and plenty of gyms, salons, pilates studios, and energy healing both in Athens and Catskill
Things to Do Around Athens, NY
We love sharing the small businesses, organizations, and events that make each of the towns and villages we work in unique, wonderful places to live. The Catskill is just as much about the lifestyle it affords as the finishes and square footage.
Enjoy our list and feel free to contact us with any questions!
Athens, NY – Schools
The School District of Greene County provides public education. Catskill is also home to several private, charter, and religious schools.
- Athens Elementary School
- Edward J. Arthur Elementary School
- Coxsackie-Athens Middle School
- Coxsackie-Athens High School